Followers

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Do They Hear You When You Cry?

Since we're in the mood for Book Review (cewah!), I remembered reading a truly magnificent novel by Fauziya Kassindja with Layli Miller Bashir, title "Do They Hear You When You Cry?". I read this book when I was in high school, at the age of 16 to be exact. It was on the shelf in my class room. I was actually dying of boredom the day when I decided to give this book a try. My friend even surprised seeing me reading the book from the shelf. I told them, this is such a great story to be read. To be known. Not just sitting there, on the shelf as a display items.

This is a true story. A true story about the Fauziya, herself. (If you expect some romance, action, sci-fi mood then go find something else). It was about human suffering and also about heartbreaking story how a woman find justice for herself, objecting her own Tribal law. When I read the book, I couldn't really hold back any emotions. As if, I was with her, experiencing what she's been through. I could feel the hurt, the humiliations, the sadness in her. She migrated illegally from her country, Togo to the US, hoping things will get better. But of course, it turned out to be one of biggest challenge for her. She was mistreated while in jail in the US. Bear in mind that Fauziya is a Muslim woman.



It is, by far one of the best book I've read so far, in my 23 years of life.

2 comments:

Siti Mas Hidayu said...

macam best je buku nie...leh pinjam? wahahah

Ezzan Yusop said...

aku mana ade buku ni, ni pun buku pinjam...